Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rhapsody Criterium- Denton, TX

Racing in Texas is always challenging. You're racing against some of the best cyclists in the region not to mention some of the best teams. I'm reminded that anyone can ride a bike fast. but not many people can ride a bike fast and be able to make repeated HARD accelerations and attacks. This is what yesterday was like for me when I went down to Texas to race the Rhapsody Denton Criterium.

Brian Parks and I left Norman yesterday morning around 8:15am and got to the race course at 10:30am. Brian drives like a man possessed! Got there, got my number, got ready, and went out for a short ride to warm up the "mules" for a hard race.

Race time w
as at 12:45 for the P,1,2,3 race. The field size was between forty and fifty racers with a couple of teams, (Metro Volkswagen, Park Place Lexus) well represented with five to seven riders apiece. I was a little nervous this being my first Texas race of the season and I new it was going to be very, fast!

3-2-1, GO! As predicted, attacks came fast and often. It took a great amount of effort to stay in the top ten riders initially, but after a few laps things settled down just enough to be able to do so.

I would say that I was very active in the race. Maybe to much. Racing in Texas I don't know a lot of the riders or teams, so I don't know who's strong and who' not. So you're taking a gamble anytime you go with an attack or try and bridge a gap. Me being the aggresive type racer, which works for me and against me when I race, went with several of the initial attacks. I would make it into a break only to realize a lap or two later that we had been caught. One can only do this so many times before they burn all their "matches".

Anyhow, a break of three finally got up the road and then another break of four leaving a shattered field to contend for a pack sprint in the end. I ended up sprinting for 10th. Normally the races that I do pay ten deep but today the race only paid seven deep.

I'm happy with how I raced. Halfway through I wanted to quit, but due to the determination, and tenacity that God has put in me, quitting is never an option. I could have raced smarter and had I done that I may have been able to make the winning move of the day. But that's part of bike racing for me this season. To learn how to race well, and not just ride fast. Because, like I said, anybody can ride fast.

Data from Race:
TIme: 1hr 15mins.
Avg Power.: 358watts
Avg Speed: 25.3mph
Avg. Heartrate: 168bpm

No comments:

Post a Comment