Thursday, March 25, 2010

Issues of the Heart


What kind of future do I want for my kids? and what am I willing to work through to insure that my kids don't inherit the generational issues that I have had to deal with and continue to work through daily. Am I willing to do whatever it takes? Am I willing to do the hard work now so that these two precious kids aren't someday asking themselves, "why didn't my parents (dad) deal with their his/her issues?". I've been asking myself that question a lot in the ten years since my parents got divorced. I've seen first hand what happens when issues of the heart aren't dealt with and it's not pretty. Families suffer, especially the children. So, now that I have kids, I want to do things different. I know that dealing with my own heart issues is never going to be easy, but if that means that my children don't have to deal with them themselves sometime down the road, then it's worth it.

I think one of the biggest reasons that people don't deal with their issues is that it's either to hard or to painful. Without a clear picture of who our Heavenly Father is and how He feels about us,(that He is crazy about us, that He loves us more than we can fathom, and that He is always good), it always will be.

I'm in the midst of working through some of my own heart issues currently and it's not easy. But, in order for me to have and continue to have strong and healthy relationships, a flowing heart, with my wife and kids it's what I need to do. And I am willing! I refuse to go down the road my own parents went down, especially my dad. I am the head of this family and I am the one who dictates the kind of environment, the "mood" of the home. I know all to well how true this is having grown up in a home that always felt on edge.

I am willing to take on these heart issues head on because I know that my Heavenly Father is always right there with me bearing my burdens. I am willing.........

No comments:

Post a Comment